Otoscopy :: THE HISTORY OF OTOSCOPY :: Hist_8
 THE HISTORY OF OTOSCOPY  
The Otoscope 3

The Otoscope 3

Description : Otologists used a wide variety of lighting devices for the examination of the ear well into the early part of the 20th century.

These included a mineral oil lamp, even the lowly candle, gas mantles and, best of all, limelight because of its brightness and similar colouring to daylight.

However the latter source was difficult to use, and found only in clinics. Gradually electric light was introduced, both in the form of fairly powerful bulbs, the light of which could be concentrated by lenses on to a head mirror, such as the McKenzie bull's‑eye lamp which is still in use today, and in the form of smaller, low voltage bulbs which could be placed directly into an otoscope or on to a headband.

The miniature bulb was not perfected until the early part of the 20th century.

The surgeon examining the external meatus by means of Miller's lamp and the tubular speculum (from Toynbee 1860 The Diseases of the Ear").

Powered by Gallery v1 RSS